Contact us, Opens in new window
When to use which selection controls
Use radio buttons or checkboxes when..
- There is no clear default or recommended options
- You want user to read all options
- The options are unfamiliar to user and there is less or no chance that the user can predict them
- You have less then 5 options
- Comparison of options needs to be clear
- Visibility and quick response is a priority
Use select boxes or multi selects when..
- Displaying all options will draw user's attention
- It is not encouraged for users to change the default option
- A large number of familiar options are available
- You have more than 7 options
Use input field with autocomplete when..
- You have more than 20 options